Tuesday 2 June 2020

Week 11 and Counting

June 2, 2020

Yesterday was hard on my mind and heart. It started with the notification of the death of a dear old friend - Silver Donald Cameron. I first met him when I worked at the weekly newspaper The 4th ESTATE in Halifax back in the late 60s and early 70s. He would breeze in saying Hi to everyone with the latest piece of brilliant writing clutched in his hand. I later worked as a researcher for him on a CBC-TV program on the opening of the oil refinery at Come By Chance in Newfoundland. That was a blast! I last saw him on July 8, 2014 at a reunion of some of the gang of those The 4th ESTATE days. He was smiling, charming, warm, caring and passionate about his endeavours - there were many of those. He was also very, very funny. I feel a great sense of loss this morning. My heart goes out to Marjorie.

And the day ended with that ridiculous used car salesman hawking his wares on the steps of a boarded up church by holding up "his" bible. And he did it by "removing" the protesters and clearing the path for his march. He really is despicable. And his country is going to continue to suffer for his behaviour. I was reminded of the 1960s in the US and the haunting song Black Day in July by Gordon Lightfoot. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it. And for those who have, have pity on the people who have to put up with this person in the White House.

And today I am reminded of another great songwriter. Thirty-seven years ago Stanley Allison "Stan" Rogers died. I was producing the CBC Radio morning show in Regina. He died in a fire aboard Air Canada Flight 797 on the ground at the Greater Cincinnati Airport at the age of 33. We played Fogarty's Cove that morning. But my favourite for years has been NORTHWEST PASSAGE.

Just to add to it all, today is the 31st anniversary of the day when 10,000 Chinese students were blocked by 100,000 citizens in Tiananmen Square in Beijing. Those citizens were protecting students who were demonstrating for democracy.

I had some other bits and pieces I wanted to say today but the above chunks of sadness and bitterness overwhelmed whatever they were. And, of course, we are still dealing with COVID-19 and all that entails.

Be well, my friends.
Onwards!



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post, Anne, so much to think about today...

    ReplyDelete