Friday 29 May 2020

Day 74

Friday, May 29, 2020

Since we have lots of time these days to wander through bits and pieces that one might skip over because it would take time away from other so-called "more important things", I give you this wonderful piece from Iceland. I thank my good friend Bob for this. There are bits that make you think, that make you laugh, that make you envy the ingenuity. And Iceland is itself an amazing place that was on my list of places to see but I doubt I'll get there now. It has had a fascination for me - it feels mysterious and a place which holds many secrets and strange creatures. But then, I am a big fan of fairy tales!

On a more mundane but joyous note - I have a hair and pedicure appointment! And Bill has a hair appointment! Thanks to Sue, Darlene and Sandra. Not only is the hair part kind of important (the pedicure is as much medical as anything else), the fact that we can see people and talk to people is an uplifting that is really desired. The rules are strict - wash your hair before you come, stay outside until one is called in, wear a mask, and sanitise hands on the way in. I can sure live with that and I am very grateful to see old friends again. It is also so important for them to get their businesses up and running. I think they miss their customers too.

I see the US is heading towards the abyss with racial tensions (a euphemism, I know) mounting by the day, overlapped by the COVID-19 crisis which is killing African-Americans disproportionately and being overtaken by a long hot summer shaping up. All this with an irresponsible person as the country's leader does not make for a calm time. I am old enough to remember the Watts Riots in 1965, the Chicago Riots in 1968 and the Los Angeles Riots in 1992. There have been others, of course but these are the ones that come to mind this morning. In our own history, there was the Winnipeg General Strike of 1918 and others. But I won't list them all. 

The tinderbox that is present in the country to our South feels very dangerous. Aside from all the people who are being affected by this atmosphere, I am concerned that it spills over to our country. For some reason, I remembered all the draft dodgers who came here during the Vietnam War. I wonder if there are people in the US that are thinking about that now.

In the meantime, stay in touch with your family and friends however you can. They sustain me through all this stuff. They have made me laugh and given me hope for a gathering and maybe even a hug or two.

Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment